[T]roubled relationship patterns evidenced by children of divorced homes . . . include:
* fear of commitment
* fear of opening up and revealing your true self
* expectation that all relationships fail
* distrusting the opposite sex (or one's own gender)
* distrusting your own judgment about partners, relationships, and other choices
* built-in time limits on relationships, places, or jobs
* clinging to other people for support or sense of self
* poor judgment about sex or emotional intimacy (promiscuity or emotional "spewing")
* sabotaging your own success to retain control
* taking care of others
* avoiding anyone else who might want to take care of you – or care for you
* a sense that you might be "damaged goods"
Even children of divorce whose parents separated when they were already adults may feel some of these effects on their love life.
-- "Romance as a Child of Divorce" by Victoria Anisman-Reiner
I don't usually go in for pop psychology, but there are some Wednesday mornings when things are confusing and the only thing to do is head to Google for help. It's free, after all! I thought this article had some great points, and I've definitely seen the effects of divorce play out in my own relationships, as well as in those of my younger sisters. I pray for them, and for myself, that through greater trust in God we can overcome our fears and anxieties about romantic relationships. I know it is possible!
No comments:
Post a Comment