The Dress Code requires a business dress, or a dress skirt/dress pants and dress shirt (preferably button down with collar), and dress shoes. -- Christendom 2007-2008 Student Handbook, as quoted in the Chronicler Online
Sometimes, when you grow a little older and wiser, you look back on something that you thought was reasonable in the past and now see it is just a bit off, a little far from the mark, not nuanced or full enough. For example, it seemed normal to me that my boyfriends in college would just hang out with me rather than actually taking me out to do things (but this is a topic for another time). One thing, however, which I still think makes a ton of sense is my alma mater's class dress code for ladies. We had to wear skirts or professional dress pants, but the emphasis always fell on skirts because it was much easier to express your individuality with multifarious kinds of skirts and dresses, rather than the bland option of monochrome pants. Also, there was a kind of peer pressure to wear skirts, such that I know I'm not the only girl who went home for freshman year fall break and went shopping for a new set of skirts. To this day, when you go to Christendom's campus on a weekday, you will see young ladies dressed in cute and chic (and, of course, modest) skirts and blouses. The result is that the girls end up looking quite feminine. This result is good. While in college, though in general complying with the dress code, I may not have understood the full implications of encouraging women to dress in a feminine way. Now, I do see more how important it is and I'm grateful for the formation I received.
No comments:
Post a Comment