October 13, 2008

[T]hey’re breathing in the artificially fragranced air and peering into windows and believing – because that’s what shopping does to you – that their husband would love them again if only they bought that set of lingerie, that their bickering family would turn into the Waltons if they forked out for the organic chicken, that the office Christmas party won’t be the usual miserable nightmare if they swallow hard and hand over the cash for the beautiful dress, that they’ll write that bestselling novel if they buy the laptop.


I found a very engaging and frank article in the London Times detailing how shopping has become a religion for many. It's interesting that she uses that very expression, but her reflections are rather serious. They point to a lack, a huge hole in one's life that needs to be filled. Though I really like shopping, I could not see myself behaving as she described. Yet, there but for the grace of God go I, because she's completely right that material possessions can become alluring and addictive. More, more, more--this urge for more things and the disinclination to do actual work to pay for them and support one's lifestyle completely--this is in part what has caused our current economic situation.

No comments:


Colorado