October 20, 2008

The modern city is a monument to human genius, no mean thing, mind you, but nature is a sacrament of God's mysterious majesty.

Prior Peter reflects on the country. As you may tell from the title and sidebar of his blog, Prior Peter lives in a monastery in the city of Chicago. Yet, he recognizes the immense need we have to encounter God in nature. There's no substitute for it. Cities can be great centers of learning, culture, art--at their best, this is what they do, not just promote technological advancement--but all these human creations pale in comparison to God's wonderful creation. I think that's one of the blessings I've found in my own life, in growing up, that I want to experience the beauty of nature more and more. Also, it's one of the things I most want to share with others. Retreat and community both work more gracefully in a country setting.



1 comment:

Autumn said...

I'm loving your blog!


Colorado