I am come, my Lord, in a ready spirit, armed with hope and with love. I look on this Mass as a happy oasis in my life, as a source of refreshment and of vigor, so that with a right heart I may resume my work, so that the burdens which, oft-times, I find beyond bearing may be lightened through Your loving kindness and Your indulgent aid.
How many are the hours I spend without a thought of You, my God; forgetful even of my own soul, but in the grip of alien forces! Keep me mindful of You, and of what I am to You: for to think of one is to think of the other. I pray that these moments which are made holy by being passed in Your Presence, may be a source of faith, of fervor, and of joy.
Take away from me this bitterness which throttles me, this harsh and agonizing dryness which holds me in its grip, this darksome discouragement which broods around me. Cleanse me from secret leanings to sin, from inclinations impelling me to choose what is unwothy, from all the evil that I would not and that I yet do. At the very beginning of this Mass, make me ready to be what You would have me be.
My trust in You is boundless, and my very first word is one of entire confidence in You. I believe in You; in You do I place my trust: it is You alone who are the rock of my being and the fulcrum of my strength. And it is because I am no more in Your sight than a reed, a reed which rests in Your hands, that I know myself to be strong.
Therefore am I glad, glad in my Lord. There awaits me a renewal of my forces, in which my soul shall come to full growth. By the glad light of this confrontation with You for which I now make ready, my Lord, I beg You to lead me henceforth along the way in which I should go. Guide me by Truth, which is the right hand of Your Love.
Amen.
I want to copy this down and say it daily. How awesome it is to consider His great Sacrifice and, by participation in the Mass, to put all our little daily sacrifices in order with His. I especially love the third stanza of this prayer, however, because it brings to Holy Mass the reality of our lives: utter and dire need of God. It's easy enough to admit you are unworthy and basically nothing on an intellectual level, but completely to lay your brokenness at the feet of the Savior requires, as the next paragraph intimates, boundless trust in Jesus. May the Lord grant us such trust as well as its counterpart of deep and ardent Love.
No comments:
Post a Comment