March 31, 2008

Let them be put to shame and confusion altogether who seek to snatch away my life; let them be turned back and brought to dishonor who desire my hurt! Let them be appalled because of their shame who say to me, "Aha, Aha!" But may all who seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee; may those who love thy salvation say continually, "Great is the LORD!" (Psalm 40:14-16)


By His obedience, His suffering and death, Jesus Christ has confounded the devil; by His rising, He has said to death, "Aha, aha!" We rejoice in His victory and praise God by proclaiming lovingly, "Great is the Lord!" On this day, the Feast of the Annunciation, we also marvel at the cooperative obedience of the Blessed Virgin Mary. She, along with Christ, continually surrendered her life to God. Her loving acceptance of God's will allowed Him to make known His powerful surpassing LOVE for us! May we repeat her words in hope and in trust: "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy word."

9 comments:

Unknown said...

"But may all who seek thee rejoice..." Wonderful words. Quotes are like nectar - concentrated, sweet, and clear. Also rare these days! Jim

Sylvia said...

Today the Gospel for mass was Our Lord saying His will was that His joy may be in us and our joy may be complete. Who can be unhappy in the face of such love?

Unknown said...

Followed by our Lord giving us his great command. And then, "If you had been of the world, the world would love its own: because you are not of the world, therefore the world hateth you." So the choice is ours, and we chose daily to remain in our Lord's love. Indeed, who can be unhappy in the face of such love?

Sylvia said...

How goes it, Jim? I just remembered your kind comments to me and you are still in my prayers--happy feast of St. Anthony!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Sylvia. I am working thru some struggles but hanging in there. I appreciate you keeping me in your prayers. And yes, happy feast of St. Anthony. He had a wonderful quote: "The man who is filled with the Holy Spirit speaks in different languages. These different languages are different ways of witnessing to Christ, such as humility, poverty, patience and obedience; we speak in those languages when we reveal in ourselves these virtues to others." Keep up your search in Philosophy, perhaps the best way is to find someone you can discuss the great (and little) questions with each day! God Bless! Jim

Sylvia said...

I would certainly like to find someone to discuss philosophy with each day. For now, however, I should probably do my best to study on my own. Thank you for the quote from St. Anthony, I like it a lot!

God bless,

Sylvia

Unknown said...

Sylvia, as inadequately trained as I may be in philosophy, feel free to email me anytime you want to discuss issues in philosophy or other areas. Peace be with you,

Jim
jgd2313@gmail.com

Sylvia said...

Thanks Jim! I may take you up on that, once I can think of something philosophical to talk about. My mind seems immersed in the practical at the moment! :)

Unknown said...

Sylvia, We are upon one of my favorite saint's days: St. Thomas More. He had strength I wish more of our modern Catholic statesmen (and I) possessed. From a letter he wrote to his beloved daughter Margaret, from prison: "And, therefore, my own good daughter, do not let your mind be troubled over anything that shall happen to me in this world. Nothing can come but what God wills. And I am very sure that whatever that be, however bad it may seem, it shall be the very best." Such faith cannot help but inspire. Such faith gives direction and light to philosophy. Such faith is to be prayed for, and received by God's grace. God Bless, Jim


Colorado