June 25, 2002

When I see something I completely agree with, I just have to mention it somewhere. In this case, it's post by Mary (you can see her tags below on my tagboard under the name of mbot23). I don't think she'd like me linking to her, so I'll just copy what she wrote and put it in italics:

I supress these urges to confide in people (instead, I write out my thoughts online) because..I never had a friend so close to me that I could confide in her what I thought, my likings, my dislikings, my hopes, aspirations, and dreams. And, I am not going to confide in people who I barely know. This tendancy just doesn't appeal to me. Its too girly. It needs to be something deeper, something that comes from mutual trust and caring, instead of flightiness. Now-a-days, it is only blabber that has no foundation in true trust. It is rather, another area of conversation. Plain conversation. Conversation that should be a sign of trust, and not something that can lightly be discarded. What an honor it is to be graced with someone's really trusting you, to the point of opening up their hearts to you and hoping you won't hurt them! That just takes the most guts ever, but that is not what it is anymore..

I've often felt the exact same way. Some things I never even write online anyplace, but just always keep to myself. Some may criticize this as unhealthy repression of feelings, but it's not really. It's repression of thought, and I like to keep my secret thoughts secret. If I knew someone I could really trust, really confide in, then I would tell her. I'm ready enough to talk about all superficial aspects of my life, and even ready enough to share some of my insane or silly thoughts, but what's truly important is too important to give away like peanuts. Mary's right in that readiness to chatter away about things that are considered (or should be considered) truly personal is a "girly" trait--you see girls do it all the time, just about everywhere. Perhaps we would do better to follow the example of some guys and remain stoic in some situations.

Well, this week I'm trying really hard to finish my third quarter. I think it a goal I can accomplish, yet if I succeed I would consider it somewhat miraculous. That's why prayer is an essential part of my plan. Pray for me too, if you will. Ugh, my mom just said I have to paint (as in, paint a room). That was not part of my plan. Ah well, what God wills, right?

No comments:


Colorado