July 14, 2008

I will not apologize for continuing to quote Fr. Philippe's book on Mary, because I see tons of gems in it--and I'm only two-thirds of the way through the slim volume. In the context of discussing how Mary, in her abandonment to the will of the Father and her evangelical littleness, provided the groundwork for the community of the Holy Family, Fr. Philippe sums his reflections up with a beautiful insight on marriage that bears repeating:
Saint Thomas Aquinas, in the footsteps of the Fathers of the Church, specifies that between Mary and Joseph there was a true marriage, "for the form of marriage consists in a certain indivisible conjunction between souls whereby each party is held to fidelity to the other in an indivisible manner." This union of souls existed perfectly between Mary and Joseph. Mary loved Joseph in order to love God even more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sylvia - you've had this blog for eons! It was quite entertaining to delve into the sillyhead mind of your early years :) I do believe you polished off Monte Cristo while I was wrapping my head around Grover Goes to the Farm.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with your post!

Peace and good

Sylvia said...

Oh goodness! I didn't think anyone would go that far back . . .

Anonymous said...

Not to worry, I just skimmed :)


Colorado