June 21, 2003
This morning, I had a yard sale. I sold a respectable amount of things and made $70. However, my most interesting customers were my very last ones, a family of four. One interesting thing about them was that the mother was white and the husband was hispanic, so while the daughter had bright red hair and looked as anglo as could be, the boy had dark hair and freckles, much like my own brother. The girl, Heidi, who was about my age or a bit younger, bought all my shoes, which was amusing; she was a talkative sort. The mother had an inclination to buy junky things, which her husband disapproved. He was the type who tries to be jocular but whom one must humor just because he is older than one--he kept asking if things, like my cash box, were $1 because I had made a sign that said "$1.00 Sale". In fact, most of the things were one dollar, but that is immaterial to where I'm going with this anecdote. Where am I going with this anecdote? Oh yes. While browsing through my collection of books (I will sell you nine of Shakespeare's plays for $5.00 if you're interested), the mother asked me about one. I told her it was "basically American literature from a Roman Catholic perspective." So that's two points for me on the dork-o-meter: one, why did I phrase it "Roman Catholic"--that was idiotic; two, what am I doing selling my American literature textbook at a yardsale?! Well, I had a sticker on it for 50 cents. Anyway, after they had made all their purchases and all gotten in the car, the mother came back and tried to give me a little book with stories about Jesus in it! I smiled very politely (I hoped) and told her that I thought we had something very similar already. It was amusing, though! I've heard about people thinking that Catholics were the nearest thing to pagan, but I'd never really experienced it before. Of course, at the same time it was irksome, and if I hadn't been who I was and been doing what I was at that particular moment, I might have given her a piece of my mind. So there! :-P I learned from my brother, who was talking with their boy, Joe, that their family were homeschoolers too. It was interesting. That's the fun/scary part about yard sales: you get to meet people you otherwise wouldn't have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Colorado
No comments:
Post a Comment