September 25, 2002

I was too tired to blog this past weekend, and then on Monday I got sick and have been since then. I think I'm starting to feel better, but for the past few days I've done not much more than lie around listening to Harry Potter cassettes and sleeping. Without further ado, though, here is how my Exciting Swim Meet went:

Saturday

I woke up at 5:40 am, my standard alarm setting, and went to eat a gingerbread pancake, which was delicious. My mom somewhat disconcerted me by saying that she wanted to leave at 6. The night before, I had planned on 6:15. Finally, I told her, rather brusquely, I'm afraid, "I'll be ready at 6:15. You can't just change things last minute on me. If I had known we were leaving at 6, I would have gotten up earlier. Then I went about packing, brushing my teeth and washing my face (a step it seems my sister, who was also going to the swim meet, thinks optional), and grabbing things that I thought I'd need. Finally, at 6:18, we were on our way.

As I knew we would, we arrived in plenty of time. Coach Patrick wanted us to do a short warmup anyway, which we did, complete with turns and starts. It was rather chilly in the morning, and I refused to wet my coverups too much, so maybe I did get a little chilled. However, by the time the meet started the sun was out, bright and warm. Both days were beautiful Texas-style fall days (highs in the low 90s, but not humid and with a very pleasant breeze). My first event was the 50 yard freestyle. I was in the same heat with my sister and I had vowed to beat her. I did, but not by much. The 50 is the shortest race and thus was very close. I believe my time was a 28.01, rather slower than I had hoped for.

Next, I had the 100 butterfly, also in the same heat as Roni. However, this time she beat me, as I clearly lost it at the end. My mother told me that we had been close through the entire race, but my sister edged me out at the end. I really was very tired--fly is not easy! However, it was rather a disappointment, as I can't help feeling that I could have beaten her if only I had tried harder.

Finally, I swam a terrible 100 yard breaststroke. Well, it wasn't that terrible in that I only added 1 second to my best time, but it was terrible in that I felt like I had no kick and another swimmer on our team was in the same heat as I and she went about 5 seconds faster (an eternity in swimming). Breaststroke used to be my best stroke. I must lament its loss, as I really did (do) like it. My coach said I could get it back; I hope he's right.

That was about it for Saturday. The entire mood of the day was cheerful. Somehow, the pool we were competing in was very enjoyable and I really felt quite comfortable and calm, more so than I probably have before. At least I have maturity on my side...I feel so old compared to all the rest of the age-groupers!

Sunday

Sunday my mom was a little in a bad mood in the morning, I recall. However, my sister and I ignored that and the morning wasn't really very different from the previous one. I ate different food, I think, but the business was pretty much the same. Oh, when I say food, I am reminded of the absolutely delectable vegan brownies my mom made, which lasted both days of the weekend. They were sooooo lovely! Anyway, back to swim.

My first event on this day was the 200 IM, by far the hardest race I swam in the entire meet. I believe my time was not very far from my original time, but I really felt dead towards the end. Plus, the same teammate who beat me in the 100 breast also beat me in this race. I won't say it was humiliating. I did my best, and it wasn't that terrible.

Then I had the 100 backstroke. I dropped a few tenths. I really am very bad at backstroke. I need to work on it.

Finally, I did the 100 freestyle, swimming against Roni once more. She beat me. I was mad. I ran out of steam again, at the very end. The entire race felt fast and good, except for the crucial last 25. :( I did drop a tiny bit of time, but I wanted to beat Roni so much. I WILL beat her next time. First, though, I have to get back swimming. This stupid cold has kept me drydocked this week.

Oh, I went to 5 pm Mass, and I was already starting to feel shabby by then. I think that for a swim meet, your body tries to keep itself together and when you're done and get to relax, then the immune system eases up and you get sick. It's daft. We ate Mexican food for dinner, and I refused to get sucked into the Emmy Awards on TV, instead going to bed early in an attempt to head off this illness. Sadly, it didn't help much.

I am feeling a little better now, besides the nose rawness from blowing it so much. I think I may be able to function almost normally tomorrow. Being sick really is blech.

No comments:


Colorado