Hey, this person changed it... The only way I'm going to live a life of peace now is if I go through the entire thing and respond. (This is what is known as kidding, for those of you who are confused.)
NOTE: (Because this was evidently not clear to the wise Sissi) 1) You are in extreme denial if you think only one of these things applies to you. You especially were kept in mind while I wrote this. 2) I suppose you think it is in the "social norm" to post pictures of your waxed legs. Whatever. 3) It is not a flawed argument to point out that my church camp was in Waco. THIS JUST IN: Homeschoolers are not a diverse crowd. The only way you are any different from these people is that you are Catholic. (Everyone else, read on)
I feel special to have my own note, but at the same time slightly consternated that whoever wrote that saw my waxed legs post. Who are you, anyway? Besides, as you well know, I can have whatever the heck I want on my website and there's nothing you can do about it. As far as number one, I may be in extreme denial, but I'll check again...uh nope, still only one applies. Two, I don't believe in social norms. Why do you? Three--ooh, you know what? Not all homeschoolers are religious fundamentalist types! Wow, what a concept...
I am a conservative so I must think Homeschooling is the greatest thing under the sun. EXCEPT NOT! This rant will not address the actual educational aspects of homeschooling, but just the social aspects. (Note: If you think I am stereotyping, you obviously don't know religious homeschoolers from Texas)
You are stereotyping because not all homeschoolers are religious homeschoolers from Texas. This is obvious from two things: one, not all homeschoolers are religious; and two, not all homeschoolers are from Texas. Finally, just because I happen to be both STILL does not mean that I have those characteristics outlined below. Oh, and just a note--you don't dare address the educational aspects because there is no hope of success in that area. Besides, as everyone knows, it's more important to be well-socialized than to be well-educated; this is one of the foremost principles of politics.
I went to church camp in Waco, admittingly not the center of diversity in Texas, and met more than my fair share of homeschoolers. What did I notice first about them as a whole, compared to public high school kids? I'm glad you asked.
I've nothing against church camps in Waco, but you have to realize that your church camp was not a representative sample of homeschoolers across the nation, or even across the state.
#1. The girls dress weird. Think of the kid at your school who dressed the modestly. Now, up that a degree and you have a religious homeschooler. I'm talking, floor length denim skirts everyday, head scarfs (not even those cool bohemian looking ones, we are talking dowdy), and longsleeve tshirts. Every. day. This one girl had her head covered constantly (at first I thought I was at Muslim camp) and when we asked her why she said "In order to honor daddy." Oh. My. Gosh. The ones who actually do wear pants, wear the kind that my mom wears. I am not saying that everyone should wear jeans that show their crack, but come on! They were wearing the kinds that go above your belly button with their shirts tucked in. I cringed everytime I saw them. They also had incredibly long hair. Let's remember, Long Hair does not equal pretty hair. Haha the funniest thing about them though, was most of them wore Tammy Faye Baker style makeup. Not subtle, natural looking makeup, but like 40 year old prostitute makeup.
I dress normally, low-rise jeans (not too low, but waist-high jeans are not comfortable), ordinary types of t-shirts and tank tops. Nothing scandalous, but I have never in my life resembled a Muslim. I honor my father by obeying what he says and respecting his opinions even when we disagree. If he told me I had to dress that way, I would simply argue it out with him and win. I'm one of the rare people who can win arguments against my dad. My makeup is subtle and natural-looking. This is an honest representation of the facts, because I rarely wear any makeup at all--not for religious reasons, but because it's too much trouble. As far as hair, I will admit my hair is freakishly long. However, I keep in mind that long hair does not equal pretty hair. My hair is pretty terrible-looking. I don't mind, though. The reason I keep it long is that I made a pact with myself not to cut it off till I turn 18. This is perhaps not the type of thing a NORMAL, public schooled teenager would do, but frankly I don't care. It's my hair and I can keep it as long or short as I like. Ok, so now that I have blasted your opinion that all religious homeschoolers are exactly the same in appearance, maybe I can just say who are you to judge what others want to look like, anyway? Who's to say that everyone should wear what's "in" or what you think they should wear? Is there even a good reason to do so, other than the fact that people who dress differently will be made fun of by worldly, socially-accepted people like you? I'm just asking, because in some of these points (although they DON'T hold true for all homeschoolers) I can't see anything objectively wrong with them.
#2. They are incredibly sheltered (naturally goes without saying). One person asked me what a drunk person looked like and what alcohol does to your body. I am also guessing their sex ed consisted of "Don't do it!" I also have this "feeling" that they have never met anyone different from them. And when I say different, I mean anything besides White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. (Okay I lied, out of like 200 ppl at camp, there were like five Mexicans and one Asian dude). But still, when they told me that they had lots of friends, my gut feeling was they were friends they met at church and people that their parents wanted them to become friends with.
I know what drunk people look like: I have relatives. It's not my absolute favorite subject, but my sex education has gone beyond "don't do it". I wouldn't say I know absolutely everything there is to know about it, but nor do I want to. Let me tell an anecdote about my childhood. I lived in Austin, Texas for a good part of my formative years. There, we were part of a homeschool group--it was not the Christian homeschool group, though, because this group made the parents sign some sort of statement about religious beliefs with which my mom was uncomfortable (apparently, they only wanted to meet white Anglo-Saxon Protestants, but whatever...). In any case, we were not part of that whole "scene". Instead, we belonged to what I suppose could be classified as a hippie homeschooling group. Does this not count, because they were mostly liberals? Well, there were some Protestants too, actually. Anyway, one of my best friends was an Indian boy (Indian from India, although I believe their family was actually from Trinidad or somewhere around there). We had a soccer group which was a lot of fun. We went to a fair at their Hindu temple once, which was certainly interesting. I remember one biracial family, too; a boy from that family gave me my second ever punch in the stomach (my first was from my sister). Obviously, not all the people I knew were Anglo-Saxon Protestants. So there goes that stereotype...
#3. They have no real world experience (goes along with #2). So at camp we started talking about college and what colleges the people there are going to attend, etc. Everyone said they were attending various Christian Colleges, ranging from colleges that sound made up (e.g. Amaze College!) to colleges that have absolutely no credibility (e.g. Bob Jones University). It was almost enough to make me ask "Is that school accredited?" I thought the point of college was (beside education, but remember, we aren't talking about that in this rant) diversity. My bad. The people who aren't going to Christian colleges and are going to "secular" schools aka state universities, 98% of the people plan on going to Texas A&M University. *Silence* I have no problem with A&M. In fact, if I have to go to school in the state of Texas, it will probably be there. But here is something to ponder. I would be considered LEFT WING there. *More Silence*
I would die rather than go to A&M. *a lot of silence* Actually, the main point of college IS education, so I would think that these people should be able to choose which college will give them the education they want. Plus, if the point of college is diversity, then we need to implement more affirmative action right away!
#4. They have no idea what goes on in public school. Apparently rampant acts of immorality have been happening right under my nose and I've missed it! Didyouhearthatpublicschoolkids *insert various things here: drink, smoke, party, have sex, DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD!, etc*? The first four aren't really shockers--most people who leave their house more than four hours a day have done at least one of those things, but didjaknow that they are all atheists too?! Never mind the fact that 1/4 of the camp was public schooled and they all obviously believe in God (or they wouldn't be there) but remember: they are the minority. They think that public school is a waste of time, I mean why sit in a classroom for 8 hours when you can get "hands on" experience in only three hours a day! I mean any kid who goes to public school typically smokes pot at least seven of those eight hours and then vegs the last hour. I mean duh! We don't take tests, hear lectures, watch films, take notes, or in general learn. We are just there to sit. They have us figured out. Public school children, beware! Homeschoolers are on to you!
Well, perhaps those kids think so, but I harbor no such stereotypes about public schoolers. Most of them are less intelligent than I am, but that's hardly their fault. Other than that, I see them as I see any other brand of teenagers--as simply people. There are all kinds of people, including pot-smokers and atheists, so giving your homeschool group the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they hadn't met a fair sample of public schooled people. I wouldn't blame them, considering that a lot of the choice in this matter is not theirs but their parents'. I don't blame you for pigeonholing homeschoolers either, I just see it as evidence that you didn't see a fair sample either. However, as far as your first four sentences go, I'm a little confused. At first you seem to be saying that you haven't noticed any "rampant acts of immorality" in your public school, but then you say that "most people who leave their house more than four hours a day have done at least one of those things" (drink, smoke, party, or have sex). Then you seem to decry the fact that the ignorant of the lot of homeschoolers seem to think that the people who do these things are atheists. It is undoubtedly a naive view to take that all people who sin are atheists, but I was wondering if you even think that these things (drinking, smoking, partying, or having sex) are wrong in any way. Is the problem perhaps not that homeschoolers think that these things occur (you seem to concur that they do happen), but that homeschoolers don't "experiment" with these things because of a firm moral belief that it's dangerous to the soul to do so? Would you be happier if homeschoolers acted with the express goal of fitting in and being just like everyone else?
#5. They were retro before retro was cool. I am obviously not talking about their clothes (see Point #1.) I am talking about this Little House on the Prairie concept known as "courting" (As in what Manny and Laura did with Pa's permission). Hmm, you are thinking, what exactly is courting? Hell if I know but what little I do know it involves a lot of parental supervision and chaperoning and very little physical contact ("No necking!"). Apparently it is dating with the intent of getting married! But it's not like regular dating (they are quick to add in)! Of course to me this was obvious that it's not like regular dating if 1) they have a different name for it and 2) it requires parental supervision and 3) people do it with the intent of getting married. But who am I to judge?
Yes, who indeed. However, not all homeschoolers court! Are you shocked that I would say such a thing, or alleging that I'm in denial? Well, guess what? I know homeschoolers who go on actual (dare I say it) dates! My gosh, what is the world coming to?
#6. They take themselves too seriously. They give themselves diplomas. I guess it's so they can never forget that they were homeschooled (although seeing how they manage to mention it in every conversation they have ever had with a person, I find that situation unlikely anyway). Did you know that 99% of homeschoolers graduate number 1 in their class? And to think... I've been missing out.
I never mention I'm homeschooled unless someone asks, "Where do you go to school?" or "What are you doing this summer?" BTW, I am not going to "give myself" a diploma: my curriculum will issue one. Yes, there are such things as curriculums in homeschooling. Still, I don't see it as a fault to take education seriously.
I'm done. I don't want to start a flame war or anything, although that might be fun, I just want to set people straight that not all homeschoolers are the same, and they're certainly not all like that. Thank you. :&)
No comments:
Post a Comment