February 14, 2002

I want someone with which to hold hands, to hug, to kiss, to exchange sweet nothings, etc. This desire, obviously irrational, stems not from an innate human desire to love and to be loved, for I receive and reciprocate plenty of love from my family and I'm too young to have a legitimate need for any sort of non-platonic relationship. Rather, this wish is the result of mass media brainwashing. Perhaps it seems farfetched, but I am convinced of it. I watch as much tv as the average person (that is to say, too much), I regularly see movies and videos, and I listen to popular music occasionally. These forms of entertainment all have the common thread of too much romance. Just about every popular song on the radio is about either love, sex, or some variation on those two. With movies, there's more variation as to genres, but most still manage to sneak in some kind of romance, no matter how weak. Television is even more insidious, with commercial selling who knows what but full of insinuations anyway. I feel confident, though, that now that this propaganda is exposed for what it is, I will be able to conquer it by rationality and sense. Besides, it comes and goes.

No comments:


Colorado