December 05, 2012

Forcing It

Be forceful. --Spiritual director of a person I just met
The other night I attended a gathering given by a local group of young adults in the Emmanuel Community. It was fun, featuring catchy guitar songs and spiritual sharing, as well as palatable snacks. Anyway, as part of it, one of the ladies I met shared that her spiritual director had told her that sometimes in the spiritual life you have to "be forceful," which was consoling to her because she often felt like her moments of prayer, etc., were rather forced. For me, this counsel also resonated because I actually haven't forced it much lately. If I don't feel like praying, I often won't. I go to daily Mass, but rarely feel called upon to pay it special attention. In other words, I'm drifting and need a shake to awaken me from spiritual languor. So right now the commitment and the aim is to be forceful or, better, fortis in my pursuit of God and His will.

No comments:


Colorado