February 13, 2009

I seem to be undergoing a thorough stripping by God--a stripping of all my old perceptions of my own worth. I used to base (unconsciously, of course) my value on what I perceived as my talents. Now I find myself wondering what those talents even are. And as I grew in the past two years in my awareness of my lack in certain areas where I once viewed myself as gifted, I turned my sense of self-worth into a heightened determination to succeed, academically, professionally, spiritually, even physically. Now I'm being stripped of that too. It seems God isn't interested in what I'm "going to be" after I get that degree, advance to the next level, lose a few pounds, refurbish my wardrobe. . . . I can, and often do, go for entire days without anyone speaking to me beyond a courteous "hello" in the morning and a quick "g'night" at the end of the day. -- MabeLogic on Value


I have long admired my friend Mary Beth's transparent prose. She has a way of putting things that hits the nail on the head and pulls the heartstrings at the same time, to mix metaphors. Today in mass, Fr. O'Kielty pointed to Valentine's Day as a proof of our longing for love; he said we are desperate for love, both to be loved and to give love. Mary Beth's post makes a similar point. We need to be loved in order to understand our value. We need to love in order to realize that we have something to give.

No comments:


Colorado