I guess I was attracted and continue to be attracted to the community, just the people. I love being around choir people. . . . Choir people laugh and cry openly, and everybody hugs and hold hands, and it feels like a big instant family in a way, and singers just have big, open hearts. --Eric Whitacre
A fascinating interview with the modern choral composer Eric Whitacre is a surprising delight! Whatever you may think of the sound of the music he writes, he certainly does utilize the bigness and warmness of the choir community for his pieces. I really liked his way of describing the choir. This is what attracts me to choir and to choral singing also. At this point, I would probably sing regardless, but to sing joyfully with others really makes it worthwhile. I want this vision for every choir I'm in: to let go, to be yourself, to "hug and hold hands" (which, by the way, we rarely do in my choir) and to be a family and base for each other. I believe this must be the path to make truly rich music that will praise and glorify God with our whole beings.
1 comment:
Was it St. Augustine who said "When you sing, you pray twice!"?
Post a Comment