May 30, 2007

All you who are thirsty, come to the water! You who have no money, come, receive grain and eat; come, without paying and without cost, drink wine and milk! Why spend your money for what is not bread; your wages for what fails to satisfy? Heed me, and you shall eat well, you shall delight in rich fare. Come to me heedfully, listen, that you may have life. I will renew with you the everlasting covenant, the benefits assured to David. (Isaiah 55:1-3)


I read this in yesterday's Morning Prayer, and I knew I had to post it. Right now in RCP, we are studying Catholic social teaching. What makes the teaching of the Church so unique on this point is its orientation to a Good beyond those of this life. Why spend your money for what is not bread? Why work so hard but not labor for eternal salvation? And all you have to do is listen and come . . .

No comments:


Colorado