October 10, 2002

Daschle gives in: Sometimes I wonder whether the political aspect of this is really all about which party can brainwash us to think what. I mean, if the Democrats thought that they could present a unified front against war and convince the American people to be against war also, they would do it! Think about it. It would make the Republican party and President Bush seem like a trigger-happy democracy police. I really have to wonder why the Democrats haven't made that push to campaign against war on Iraq. On the other hand, I can see their reasons for not doing so. After September 11th, the overall mood of the American people on foreign policy was basically "protect us from them!" Bush has enjoyed high popularity ratings, and his frequent and engaging use of rhetoric makes him a character with whom the people identify. People seem to trust Bush. Finally, there is the risk factor. If the Democrats went out against war, and the Bush camp attacked them back for being un-American, and the Republicans won--it would be political disaster for the November election. The Democrats are playing it safe by going along with it...I should say, playing it politically safe. As for the country, who knows how safe it will be.

No comments:


Colorado