July 04, 2002

Quite unintentionally, I made today a holiday. I started off the usual way (get up at 5:45, say prayers, do a little stretch, get to schoolwork) but then my sister wanted to go to the movies to see The Bourne Identity and of course I had to go too. It was good; I'm glad I saw it. Then, shortly after I got home and ate a quick but hearty sandwich for lunch, my mom was going to the grocery store. I had to go as well, because I needed to purchase some items personally. I did that. Now, after putting things away, resting a little, preparing our Fourth of July flag cake, making a small dinner for myself, and watching the kids and dad shoot off some fireworks, I am on the computer.

What is more patriotic than free music, I ask you? Well, lots of things, but those are boring. Listen to these, if you will:

Better than Elvis...yet it is Elvis. I was never a big fan of "the king" but this song is danceable and fun.

"Days go by and still I think of you..." I am addicted to this song, and like it so much I don't care how many times I hear it. In that respect it's kind of like "The Middle" for me. Anyway, it's a really cool song, and if you go to their website I think you can see their extremely neato video--if you don't really like the song, I think the video will make you smile at least.

Finally, a plug for John Mayer, my sister's favorite. All of the songs have musical value and are worthy of listening, but my favorites are "Comfortable", "Back to You", and "Love Song for No One" (please ignore his 'commentary' at the beginning of the song; after all, he's secular). I think you'll like him.

I am just dying to know what Mary's Gloriously Happy Thing is! At first I thought she was just being metaphorically optimistic, but it must be something actual if she had to buy makeup for it. Your sister is right, Mary, you need mascara if you wear eyeshadow... ;)

From Rachel's blog, I got this piece of annoying and aggravating garbage: "Why Homeschooling Is Not That Great" (I made up that title myself, you'll notice). The flaw in her argument is apparent in her second paragraph: "I went to church camp in Waco, admittingly not the center of diversity in Texas, and met more than my fair share of homeschoolers. What did I notice first about them as a whole, compared to public high school kids? I'm glad you asked." Let's see...she admits that it's not the center of diversity in Texas, and yet she feels qualified to make observations about homeschoolers as a whole??? Umm, yeah, I was thinking that too--"typical public schooler". J/K, of course! Out of all of her points, the only one that applies to me even remotely is number 6, and I think that's a good thing! Anyway, I have to go now, but I must close with saying that whoever wrote that knows very little about homeschooling "as a whole".

No comments:


Colorado